7 Hard To Kill Flowers To Plant



Plant hard-to-kill flowers in your garden and watch them grow!

Do you want to start a flower garden but worry your lack of a green thumb will leave you with lifeless flowers? Don't worry, you're not alone. Many people do not have a green thumb. I do because my mom does, and I learned pretty much all I know from her. Here are a few hard-to-kill flowers to plant for your garden that don't take much effort to keep alive - perfect for the non-green thumb gardener.

Related: 7 Flowers For Your Butterfly Garden

Hard to Kill Flowers for Your Garden

So, you're looking for flowers you can plant that are hard to kill because you tend to kill them, right? I completely understand. Though I wouldn't say I like the thought of killing anything alive, I've been known to over-water flowers to the point of them going lifeless. Yes, you can over-water plants, even in the hot months. Even though my mom keeps telling me this, I still do it - however, I'm getting a better handle on it.

I remember my mom spending hours upon hours in the backyard of our family lake house, planting,  watering, pruning, and making sure every flowerbed and every piece of grass got the love and care it needed. That backyard was a sight to see; the lake was right there too. I loved spending time in my mom's garden, especially in spring.

So, if you don't have a green thumb, I think you need to plant flowers that can handle a little neglect. Buy a few outdoor and garden decor, and give these hard-to-kill flowers a try.

Perennials Are Hard To Kill Flowers

First, let me say that perennials are harder to kill than annuals. Perennials are those plants that come back each year. So once the perennial is established and returns, it already has the nutrients it needs. So concentrate on those annuals you buy every year.

7 Hard to Kill Flowers To Plant 

Remember - plant perennials once and watch them come up year after year. I always invest in one of two perennials a year - they cost more than annuals - and are worth it.

1. Zinnias

Zinnias are beautiful wildflowers with enough varieties to make your whole garden seem different from one section to the next, with nothing but zinnias. Zinnias are true wildflower that doesn't need much care at all. Full sun, the occasional rain, and they will thrive. If you have a habit of killing your plants, you can not go wrong with this one.

2. Grow Daffodils Year After Year

Plant some daffodils in your garden once, and they will pop back up every spring. It's a great way to ensure you will have spring flowers even if you have a habit of forgetting about them. They will thrive wherever you put them while being 100% hands-off. AND daffodils will pop up first signs of warm weather, so if you suspect a frost is coming, be sure to cover them up to protect them. 

3. Cosmos Love The Sun

Cosmos is a pretty flower that loves the sun and another hard-to-kill flower for your garden. They can handle a drought once you get them well established, so if you forget to water them, you can sit back and relax, knowing they will keep going.

4. Morning Glory

Morning glory is a favorite if you want a climbing plant. These will grow like wildfire; after you plant them, they don't need any help to keep going. You want to mulch around them if you do not wish to see your morning glories spread and take over the area. Other than preventing them from spreading, you don't have to worry about them. Morning glories will take care of themselves.

5. Begonias Are Easy To Grow

Check out begonias if you need a flower that can handle sun or shade. These summer-blooming flowers can feel the sun and shade and even live if you forget to water them. Begonias are a perfect choice for hanging planters too. They are also one of the least expensive flowers to buy. Be sure to choose the correct begonia for sun or shade - there are two types.

6. Four O'clock Flowers Smell Sweet In The Afternoon

Give four o'clock some sun, and away they go. These smell-good flowers will come back year after year with colorful flowers that smell so sweet. Don't forget; they are called 4 o'clock for a reason - they bloom around 4 o'clock!! I love going out to my garden at this time to smell these flowers. And, my four o'clock get so overheated by the end of July that I cut them down only to grow back full force to enjoy through August-September.

7. Shasta Daisies

Shasta daisies are perennials and like the sun. However, they do not like hot weather and will die. I have them in my backyard, where they get the evening sun. But it's too much for them, especially when we get over 100 degrees for several days in a row. I'm in Texas. 

Oh, I say die. Yes, they will die when the heat is unbearable, but they WILL come back the next year.


These hard-to-kill flowers are lifesavers and money savers to anyone who loves flowers in their garden, who may or may not have a green thumb. Happy Gardening!

Popular posts from this blog

Egg Carton Alligator Craft

19 Summer Vegetable Recipes

Choosing the Right Plants for Your Garden